Friday, January 29, 2016

Australia Day Weekend Camping

Last weekend, for Australia Day, Cherie and I went camping up in Thornton. We weren't completely roughing it (showers/toilets/BBQ were on-site), but it was a great few days next to the Goulburn River and just reminded me how awesome camping is.

Cherie and I have camped together a few times now, so we get our camp setup pretty quickly; we both get the tent out, I peg the thing down, we both get the poles setup and erect the tent, and I finish pegging it down and setting the guy ropes while she unpacks the gear from the car. Smooth and efficient!

All our tents were setup around the camp fire. Being able to have a camp fire was great since many other places we've camped won't let you have fires anymore, especially during summer. We cooked everything from chicken wings, sausages and steaks to bacon and eggs. A whole chicken was even roasted in a pot.

Jeremy with his awesome contraption to cook food over a fire

She just wanted to roast them, not eat them

Even though there was a pool on the grounds, swimming in the river was the real treat. Even though the weather was hot, the river was ridiculously cold, but after you got over the initial shock, diving under was invigorating (and good for you). It was a lot of fun. We even taught our friends' kids how to skip a few stones, or in some cases, how to throw the biggest and heaviest stones in the water for the biggest splash.

Skipping stones

It was a great weekend! I love camping, I love summer, I love swimming and I love spending quality time with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment