Saturday, September 19, 2015

Handy Skills: Shining Shoes and Tying a Tie

Two simple skills for formal occasions. Or for work. Or for fun. Whatever it may be.

Shining shoes was something my dad taught me back when I was in high-school; the only formal-looking shoes I had were the shoes I wore to school, and because of the amount of dirt and scuff marks a typical high-school kid acquires in a short period of time, and the lack of responsibility I felt to keep the shoes clean, my shoes were always in pretty terrible shape, so my dad quickly showed me how to clean them up before whatever formal occasion we were getting ready for. Anyway, I hadn't done it for years after that, so I needed to remind myself how to do it.

Last year, when I was a groomsman, we ran into a little trouble getting our ties on because only Julian (the groom) and my other cousin, Adam, sorta knew how to tie a full windsor but couldn't quite remember, so we spent a good 30 minutes sorting out each others' ties. Turns out it's actually not as hard to do as everyone makes it out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment