Saturday, March 28, 2015

Handy Skills: Sharpening a Kitchen Knife?

I know, I know! How the hell could I be 29 years old and not know hot to use one of them knife sharpening rods that every household ever has?

Well, truth be told, my dad has shown me how to use a sharpening steel a few times in the past, but I'd just forgotten by the time I moved out of home and had my own knives to sharpen. I also didn't have a sharpening steel for the first couple of years out of home, but you can be damn sure that as soon as I forked out the money for one (and it was more expensive than I thought it was going to be, but worth it in the end), I jumped on YouTube, found some videos, and spent an hour sharpening every knife in the house, which greatly pleased my girlfriend.

The videos listed here are on the longer side, and there are undoubtedly shorter videos that'll get right to the point, but these videos go into honing vs sharpening, various blade shapes, various honing rods, and all sorts of details that I never would've known to consider. Sure, most of it doesn't apply to me, but it's worth knowing what you don't know, right?

And now I make sure our kitchen knives are sharp on a regular basis. And my girlfriend thinks I'm obsessed.

In the future I'd like to learn how to sharpen knives on a whetstone too...

No comments:

Post a Comment