Thursday, November 20, 2014

Excited About Spring and Summer

Every year, I look forward to the end of winter. No shit, right? Doesn't everybody? Well Cherie loves winter, but she seems to be the exception.

What do I get excited about?

The days get longer and daylight savings kicks in. That means when I wake up at 6am for work, the sun is already out. It means I don't need to cover myself in 5 layers of warmth for fear of freezing during the night. And if it gets hot, just having a fan turned on is good enough most of the time. It also means when I get home after work I still have an hour or two of sunlight to do stuff. Perhaps I'll get in a quick conditioning workout in the backyard with my kettlebell, or perhaps Cherie and I will eat dinner outside before it cools down.

Oh and speaking of food, in the warmer months I love lighter meals. It's a great time to grill everything; steaks, lamb chops, chicken breasts, fish (when it's cheap) and all kinds of vegetables. This is also when avocados start to taste amazing, so they're a quick addition to many meals, although the price goes up accordingly to the point of ridiculous around here, so maybe not every week. Even a fresh bowl of rice with a can of tuna thrown in with a pinch of lemon juice hits the spot.

It's a great time to be a strongman, given that a lot of our training happens outside. Training outside is hard in the wetter, colder months and spending any more than an hour training starts to suck, but once spring gets here, training is a lot more enjoyable. Even if I don't have to, I'll train outside.

It's just a great time to be outside in general! I can go for a nice walk on my lunch break rather than hang around at my desk and look stuff up on the internet (or write blog posts). My group of friends can have a BBQ together and actually sit outside together because it's still sunny and not freezing cold. I actually like Christmas time with my family and friends for the same reason (sorry USA, you can keep your White Christmas).

Yeah, I think it's safe to say I'm a summer person.

No comments:

Post a Comment