Monday, May 26, 2014

Leftover Chili and Eggs

This was a meal I ate post-workout last Saturday afternoon. I had some leftover chili in the fridge, which I wasn't sure what to do with, and I was getting sick of eating it with bowls of rice. So, taking a little inspiration from a shakshouka recipe I wanted to try a long time ago (but never did), I threw a few big spoonfuls of chili in a pan on a medium heat, let it reduce until most of the excess liquid was gone, dug a few holes in what was left, cracked a few eggs into the gaps, and let it all cook on a low-ish heat.

The house was smelling amazing, it was cold, and I was starving, so I ate the whole thing straight out of the pan with a few slices of heavy, doughy bread.

The chili wasn't from any specific recipe; just a bunch of red beans, onion, garlic, cheap beef, crushed tomatoes, cumin, Mexican chilli powder, cayenne pepper, paprika and salt thrown in the slow cooker for 12-16 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment